One of many questions asked in our Process Safety and HAZOP training and workshops is “Is HAZOP Revalidation mandatory or not? If nothing changed in the plant, is it still adding value?”.
The answer for the first question is “YES, revalidation of Process Hazards Analysis (PHA) is an obligation to do when it is mandated by national regulation and/or company procedures. HAZOP is one of the mostly used PHA methodology”. Typical frequency for the revalidation is every 5 years.
The answer for the second question is “YES, even though there is nothing changed in the plant, the revalidation will for sure adding value in sustaining plant safety”, based on the following arguments:
- HAZOP is a qualitative study, and its effectiveness depends on many factors (quality of chairman, members, time, venue, etc), thus there is no guarantee that the last HAZOP has addressed all 100% process hazards exists in the plant. Revalidation open the opportunity to catch the missing ones which were not identified in previous HAZOP.
- In the absence of “change” within the process plant, there could be some changes happened in the environemnt and/or surrounding vicinity of the process plant that may change the potential hazards and/or risks exposed by and/or to the process plant. PHA Revalidation shall capture this concerns.
- Some recommendations from the previous HAZOP may take some-time to complete, thus easily got slipped and forgotten. Revalidation provide media to check the implementation progress of recommendation from previous HAZOP and re-emphasize its importance.
- There is high possibility in every plant to have significant employee turnover in the last 5 years. HAZOP revalidation is an excellent program to speed up understanding of new comers about process safety aspect in the plant, while providing opportunity to refresh and improve overall people knowledge about process safety aspect of the plant, thus improve overall plant safety.
The main reason for that question being asked is conducting HAZOP Revalidation may requires significant resources (time, people, money) which is in competition with other activities. Therefore, it takes management and workforce with high level “Safety Commitment” to have HAZOP Revalidation conducted in the plant.
That “high level safety commitment” has been demonstrated by Patra SK management and workforce, where HAZOP Revalidation has been part of the company internal standard. The first revalidation was done in 2015 and recently the second revalidation has been completed in April 2020.
Alhamdulillah, LebSolution has been challenged, selected, and trusted again among several potential consulting firms, to facilitate not only the first HAZOP Revalidation in 2015 but also in the second HAZOP Revalidation campaign in 2020.
Despite the Covid-19 pandemic and the restriction it resulted, the HAZOP Revalidation 2020 has been carried out effectively through video conference. The workshop was designed and facilitated such away that it resembled a “face-to-face workshop” thus maintaining quality discussion and engagement among participants. We were in different location, but we felt like in the same room.
The 2020 revalidation campaign has been delivered with a high quality delivery, resulting in a high level of satisfaction from not only the workforce doing the HAZOP but also from the PatraSK management. It is proven by the “EXCELLENT” performance rating given in the final Joint Inspection Sheet.
On behalf of LebSolution management and workforce, I would like to convey our gratitute to all people in PatraSK organization for their trust and support for LebSolution in delivering this important project.
- When we do “the first HAZOP Revalidation”… it is not only to revalidate the safety of the plant, but also it is to revalidate our committment to safety… it is proving that our committment still exists.
- When we do “the second HAZOP Revalidation and so on” … it actually demonstrates that our commitment to safety is very well sustained.
This is a continuation of the 14-Mar-2015 Note of Today about the first HAZOP Revalidation in 2015 with the following: PatraSK HAZOP Revalidation 2015.
Thanks and best regards,
#lebsolution; #makpros; #processsafety; #processsafetymanagement; #riskmanagement; #hazop; #hazid; #pha; #riskassessment; #PSM; #projectsafetyreview; #prestartupsafetyreview; #majorhazards; #consequencemodelling; #competencymanagementsystem; #safetycriticalelement; #sce